Thursday, January 28, 2010

Latinos in U.S. society

This article, entitled "Latinos in U.S. Society" gave me more knowledge than I had expected to find in the very first article that I clicked on. I knew very little of what was said in this article, but I did know a few things. For example, I knew that Latinos are the fastest growing ethnic group in America, and that people of Latino descent are known most commonly as Hispanics, Latinos, or Chicanos. Thdere were many facts that I did not know, such as the fact that there are seven main states that Latinos live in. these states are New York, Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Illinois. The mention of the Lemon Grove incident of 1931 brought to mind the blacks' fight for integration, which we studied for a while during first semester. Indeed, "feeding from the fervor generated from African-American struggles for equality, young Latinos created the Chicano Movement in the mid-1960s. A broad-based unit, it enlisted the support of students, adult groups, and otherswho advocated cultural nationalism, or seperation and independence for people of Latino descent". They also formed a group called the "Brown Berets," modeled after the Black Panthers. As the article says, "Latinos in the United States are increasingly securing prominent roles in all aspects of society".

"Latinos in U.S. society." American History. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 28 Jan. 2010. http://www.americanhistory.abc-clio.com/.

2 comments:

  1. I also read this article for my topic, and I agree with you that it was a very informational article. I thought you listed a lot of great facts, however I felt like there was only about two sentences of analysis. This was an article packed with information, so for next time I think that there should be a lot more analysis. I also connected the Latino's history to the black's history because they both wanted equality. This is a good example of your analysis, and you should just continue to add more and more of it. Overall, I thought it was a solid response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting how many Latinos are fighting for their rights just like blacks did in America. It reminds me of the movement a few years ago in Chicago were many Hispanics marched through the whole city displaying not only their Latino herratige but also their love for America. That might be one this that could be interesting to focus on as well.

    ReplyDelete