Monday, February 22, 2010

Response to Allie's immigration project

Reading Allie's project, "Immigration: Racism Throughout the Years," was very interesting. I knew some general information about immigration from talking about it in different classes over the years, but I did not know a lot. For example, I knew that a lot of people in America do not like immigrants, but I never knew why. I just thought it was because they looked or spoke differently. By reading Allie's blog, I found out that those opposed to immigration wanted Americans to fit a certain mold. This Anglo-Saxon image they wanted excluded those with a different skin color, and polygamists and anarchists. I also found out that another excuse, or fear, that they used was that they were afraid that immigrants would not understand democracy. This might be true, if they are coming from somewhere like Russia, but they can learn. One thing that angered me was the Gentleman's Agreement. This agreement between Japan and the United States said that only people with relatives already living in America could emmigrate. This is definitely not a very gentlemanly thing to do, because doing this just keeps more people out, and makes it harder for them to achieve the "American Dream", and have a better life. I really liked her use of videos, especially the first one about how immigrants felt when first coming into the United States after getting passed through Ellis Island. I was kind of confused by the second video. What is FAIR's objective? I can tell that news reports and radio shows use them as a source, so are they just that - a non-biased source? I was also angry when I found out that immigrants are being deported for no reason. I was shocked when I read that "immigrants have sought the assistance of the police, however they end up being arrested." I liked that Allie asked a question in her project - Who should decide who is qualified to immigrate? I don't know. The President? The head of the immigration office? Both?

No comments:

Post a Comment