Monday, February 22, 2010

Response to Jill's blog

I chose to read Jill's blog and final project - "The Art of Expression" - because I knew close to nothing about this topic. Music is a very important part of life for a lot of people; a lot of my friends freak out if they lose their iPod or if it runs out of battery. Not me. Music is nice and everything, but I'm not obsessed with it. So I thought it might be interesting to learn about some different music genres and how they affect the American culture and psyche. I never listen to rap - it is my least favorite music genre next to classical music. I usually listen to country or pop. However, my brother listens to rap a lot, and I can never understand what he likes about it - from what is blaring out of his headphones, I gather that they are basically yelling abut violence and cussing a lot. But hey, each to his own, right? I ask my brother what he likes about it, and we usually get into an argument about our music choices (he hates country), but I was suprised to learn that genres like gansta rap have actually divided our country. I like how Jill put in a slide with quote defending or against gansta rap, but I feel like the quotes in defense of it did not make a lot of sense. Also, for her page connecting music to what it means to be an american, I feel like she only talks about the connection in her last sentence, and it should have been longer and more ind-depth. Lastly, I was confused about the page concerning "Sonny's Blue's". What is this? I'm guessing it is a book, but this page could have been explained more thoroughly. Overall, I really liked Jill's project because it gave me new information and another perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment